- The Federal Hotel was the brainchild and vision of the late Tan Sri Low Yat, who had the foresight to build for our nation, a new multimillion-dollar international class hotel at that time, to specifically provide accommodation for all the distinguished guests and foreign dignitaries attending the historic day and celebration of Malaya’s independence.
- The Federal Kuala Lumpur, the Hotel for Merdeka, opened her doors on 28 August 1957 and had the privilege to bear witness to Malaysia’s declaration of independence on 31 August 1957. The 90-room 9-storey structure was then one of the tallest buildings in the city and the opening was officiated by the first Prime Minister of Malaya, Y.T.M. Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al Haj. On the eve of Merdeka Day, an official reception was held at the Banquet Room, attended by 175 local and foreign guests. From the moment at the venue of choice for many government functions, events and meetings, and thus the birth of our renowned hospitality and service known around the world to this day.
- The first resident to register as a guest at The Federal Hotel was Bunny (Ms Nancy Simmons, a government driver in London who chauffeured Tunku around during his negotiation talks for Malaya’s Independence in London).
- The second guest registered at The Federal Hotel was Tan Sri Datuk Dr Haji Yahaya Ibrahim. He was then one of those young Malayan civil servants assigned as a protocol officer to take charge of the 12-man Japanese delegation representing their government at the Merdeka celebrations at Stadium Merdeka on 31 August 1957.